If you are a parent, you know that toddlers go through many stages. Sleeping problems, temper problems, eating problems. These stages are usually temporary and I have learned to just roll with them. And sometimes those stages make their way back around eventually.
Lately, my kid only wants to eat bread. And cookies. But mostly just bread. Sometimes there will be ketchup on it. Sometimes cheese. But bread has been his main squeeze. The first appointment with my midwife when I was pregnant, she told me to eat a lot of protein. It helps with growth. Protein is a basic building block. So since only a few weeks pregnant, my kid has pretty much had a protein based diet. Now with his new obsession with just bread, I’ve been worried that he wasn’t getting enough protein.
I tried to get him to eat all of his favorite meals. Didn’t work.
I let him eat protein bars. Not interested.
I introduced him to my morning protein shake. I mean its chocolate flavored, what kid wouldn’t want a “milk shake?” Also didn’t work.
So I tried making something from things I already had in the house. Something that he could get involved with and maybe get him excited to eat it. I made some No Bake Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Protein Balls.
I started with oats. I used both kinds, Old fashioned and Quick Oats. They have different textures from each other, where old fashioned is fuller and bigger, and quick oats are smaller.
I added in Run Everything Labs Vanilla Whey Protein Powder. Delicious and just sweet enough for this recipe that make it perfect for these protein balls.
Then I added in some extra flavors and beneficial nutrients with ground cinnamon, chia seeds, and ground flax seed. Some mini chocolate chips to top it off.
For the wet ingredients, I added peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract. I used a little bit of milk to help bring it all together. One tablespoon at a time to be a little sticky. Enough so it rolls together in a ball but not so much the balls won’t hold. This recipe makes about 24 small protein balls. I portioned them out using a tablespoon.
Not surprisingly, my kid ate one, and thats it.
But they are so delicious! And I like the look of the macros! So much so I have been making them now for myself. I like having one (or more) before my workouts. They give me the right amount of energy to power through without feeling too heavy in my stomach. They are so yummy I will sometimes have another after my workout, why not refuel those muscles with some awesome chocolate chips and peanut butter rolled up into a ball with Run Everything Labs Vanilla Protein!
I guess I will just roll on with this toddler stage of eating just bread.
But at least I now have a super awesome pre and post workout treat for myself now!
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- 1 1/2 120 g cups Oats. I used 1 cup of old fashioned and 1/2 cup of quick oats.
- 2 68 g scoops Run Everything Labs Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2 Tbsp 15 g Ground Flax Seed
- 1/2 cup 128 g Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 60 g Mini Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- Combine the dry ingredients, Oats, Protein Powder,Cinnamon, Chia Seeds, Ground Flax Seed.
- Add in Peanut Butter, Honey, Vanilla Extract. Stir well.
- Add in the chocolate chips.
- Mix everything together with your hands. The mixture will be a little sticky and crumbly.
- Slowly add in a little milk, one tbsp at a time until the mixture comes together and you can roll small balls. Too much liquid and it won’t hold together well.
- Stick them in the refrigerator to harden up a bit.
- Store them in the refrigerator and eat when you desire!